Saturday 23 August 2014

Cragganmore 12 Year old

 Cragganmore 12 year old

ABV 40%

What the professionals Say:

Gold in appearance, a combination of sweet floral fragrances, riverside herbs and flowers with some honey and vanilla. A firm rounded light body with a strong malty taste, hints of sweet wood smoke and sandalwood to the palate with a long, malt-driven finish with light smoke and hints of sweetness.


What I think:

Another Speyside great!

OK, so I am not just going to leave it there lol...

I fell in love with the colour of this Whisky, long before I got to smell it, let alone taste it. Its a rich gold colour, that promises all kinds of delights and dreams, and it does not fail to deliver.
I spent quite a while nosing this one, and enjoying the complex heady aromas, all though, looking pretty silly at the same time, eyes closed, glass swirled and tilted, nose in glass, mouth slightly open.... I was just waiting for Kerry to call the men in white coats.
The aroma is complex, far too complex for me to do it any justice. That being said, there is hay,  almonds,  fruit, a sweetness that's hard to describe, floral notes and yet more fruit. If nothing else it is subtle and very enjoyable.

It tastes REALLY NICE.... no I mean it, try it, you will understand. OK, a bit of a let down, after the colour and that nose, it seems to be lacking in taste. Now I don't mean it is not nice, because it is. It's really nice. There is some flavours there, its rich and honeyed, almonds, hint of berries maybe, slight fruitiness to it. The finish is better than the palate. Its a good length, slight smoke and peppery spice to it.

I want to love this Whisky, and I do love it. It's great, the only thing that lets it down is the taste in my opinion, however, that would seem to be the biggest part of any Whisky surely? Maybe its the filtration process (something I shall blog about another day), maybe its not quite strong enough? But the flavours, some how seem muted. Please don't let me put you off it. Its a classy malt, it is certainly a malt for people with delicate palettes, if you like your Whisky light and delicate then this is a winner by far. If you like peaty, smokey, roll you on the floor and kick you in the back Whisky, your going to wonder what happened to the volume on this one.

The score I am struggling with... I want to score it high I really do, I really did enjoy it, I just wish there was more to it.... OK...

7.10 out of 10. Nice with a meal, as an entrance to Whisky you cant go wrong. If you smoke, your going to struggle with flavours on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment